Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:10:08 -0800

Hi

> [file names of .desktop files]

> Are the filenames really used for anything? I did not think mutch on them,
> because I assumed that they were just dummies used to offer the info to
> the system, and that all information would be in the html, and extracted
> to be stored in another format/organization when you ran the xdg command.

AFAIK all .desktop files can be used on the desktop to create clickable
icons. xboard.desktop gets installed in /usr/share/applications/ and
therefore would create a conflict if it is named similar to other
packages. At the moment I'm not sure where we a distribution would store
desktop files that we want to use just for mime-types association, but I
think clearer names that will avoid conflicts is a good idea...

> What should still be solved is how to include this stuff in make-install.
> PerhapsArun could have a look at that.

I will, should be easy to add to the make file and building of the rpms

> A good question is whether we should also provide desktop files to
> run XBoard on FICS and ICC (WinBoard creates start-menu items for
> those). They would not be associated with any mime type, but they would
> come in handy in the menus. (Although we could define amime type for
> user ICS logon files, so that they can log in to an ICS of their choice by
> clicking the correponding logon file.)

We could provide some for ICS and FICS, but if people want to use other
ones, I think it perhaps would make more sense to add a section in the
documentation on how to do this in general, e.g. copy xboard.desktop and
modify line xyz...

cheers

Arun