Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 10:57:20 -0800

Hi

>>[...] It is also awkward that the user settings are not stored in that same
>> directory,
>> but in ~/.xboardrc . Do distributions define a variable for this,
>> similar to $DATADIR,
>> which we could draw on in the cofigure/make process?
>
> I don't think so.
>
>> If necessary we could add a new option -userDirectory, for which we set
>> the default[...]
>
> I agree, but would prefer names like -userConfigDir and -userConfigFile

I'm not sure if we need a new command line option for this... shouldn't
it be good enough to set this during configure? I can't really see the
advantage of being able to change this when calling xboard (apart from
debugging perhaps).

Distributions don't have an environment option for $DATADIR AFAIK, but
I'm pretty sure that they have a preferred place for programs to store
their data, so I would think that they would like to set this during the
configure stage, e.g. when creating the rpm/deb package.

We can have it default to a .xboard directory and then later test if it
exist, and if not ignore it. If it exists, perhaps we also want to store
.xboardrc there?

cheers

Arun