Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Opening pgn files in xboard
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:31:41 +0100

Perhaps even simpler:

1) A new volatile ArgTrue option -viewer (default False)
2) A new persistent string option -viewerOptions (default "-ncp -engineOutputUp false")

After parsing the settings file we would call:

if(appData.viewer) ParseArgsFromString(appData.viewerOptions);

And perhaps we add a text-edit to the general-options dialog where the user can set the string. In case he wanted to configure for analysis with Stockfish, he could then change it to "-fcp stockfish -fUCI -engineOutputUp true -initialMode AnalyzeMode -saveSettingsOnExit false".

Even if he has already an engine line for Stockfish in the -firstChessProgramNames, it is likely he wants to run it with other XBoard options for analysis than for playing
against or with it. So there is no real need to relate it to his engine list.

Of course when he wants to set an unweildly large number of options, (like all window
coordinates) he can always use "@my-pgn-viewer" for -viewerOptions, and put the
list of options in there. But then it is upto him where to put it, and we wouldn't have
to bother with it.