Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] mime types
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:20:35 +0100

..., perhaps we should change the file names a bit?

Are the filenames really used for anything? I did not think mutch on them,
because I assumed that they were just dummies used to offer the info to
the system, and that all information would be in the html, and extracted
to be stored in another format/organization when you ran the xdg command.

I think viewer and tourney are to general (for
viewer I would expect a jpeg browser or a pdf viewer or something like
that and tourney could be any game).

Well, I will change it to pgn-viewer.desktop and xboard-tourney then?
Of course the idea is that XBoard will eventually play any game... ;-)
After I've done that, I guess you could pull anything in, if we are also happy
with the Comment and GenericNames I defined in the desktop files.

What should still be solved is how to include this stuff in make-install.
PerhapsArun could have a look at that.

A good question is whether we should also provide desktop files to
run XBoard on FICS and ICC (WinBoard creates start-menu items for
those). They would not be associated with any mime type, but they would
come in handy in the menus. (Although we could define amime type for
user ICS logon files, so that they can log in to an ICS of their choice by
clicking the correponding logon file.)