Re: [XBoard-devel] Connecting to ICS through gateway broken?

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Connecting to ICS through gateway broken?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:30:37 +0200

I guess XBoard is partly to blame, after all. It is the shell that strips away the quotes (explaning the different behavior in a file or on the command line), but I
now concatenate all argv elements (separated by spaces)  into a single line,
before subjecting it to the WinBoard argument parser. An empty string
in argv[i] would simply lead to two consecutive spaces in this line,
which will be treated as a single whitespace by the parser.

I already recognize arguments with whitespace in them as special,
'quoting' them with {}, which was a quoting method known to WB,
but AFAIK not to XBoard, and therefore safe. I guess the problem would
be solved by also recognizing the case of an empty-string argument,
and also put that between {}.

I will fix it.