Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] gtk and x11 in parallel
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 08:58:50 -0700

Hi

On 06/03/2011 12:09 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> It would definitely be an advantage to be able to do a 'gradual takeover'
> of X functions by GTK functions. I am still not really sure how helpful it
> would be, but if it is, I could continue to eliminate X-code from the
> XBoard front-end. (E.g. redo the New Shuffle Game dialog, and redesign the
> Time Control dialog.)
>
> As long as the GTK version or any mixed version can nether be built on
> Ubuntu 8.04, nor on Windows + Cygwin, its usefulness will be rather
> limited, though.

Ubuntu should be able to build it, once you installed the devel packages
for gtk. Perhaps you can try the branch from my git-repo and let me know
what errors you get.

If we mix and match Xt and Gtk, we won't be able to build on Windows
until we have exchanged all of the Xt calls...

One issue to keep in mind for the Windows build is that the latest
Windows-Gtk version is 2.22, so we should use this for version on linux
too, so that we can easily add the windows built later.

Apart from that, if we figure out why the Xt-menu stays up when doing
the gtk call, we could start replacing some windows with their gtk
equivalent.

Arun