Re: [XBoard-devel] SVG version of XBoard pixmaps for chess

From: Jason Dorje Short
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] SVG version of XBoard pixmaps for chess
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 13:02:09 -0400

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Antoine Mathys
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have created (significantly) hand-adjusted vectorized version (SVG) of the
> standard chess pixmaps distributed with XBoard 4.5.1.

The SVG pieces used on Wikipedia are available under the GPL, and have
been effectively used by me in a chess project in the past.  I believe
they're all made by a single author, who I originally contacted to
have them multi-licensed and could probably be reached again if
needed.  Using SVG for this allows smooth user control of the board
size which makes for a better user interface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chess_rld44.png

Is one example (it's a complete set, with both transparent and
multi-colored backgrounds for both piece colors).

Let me know if you're interested in further details.

-jason