Re: [XBoard-devel] Comment and Tags windows

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Comment and Tags windows
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:35:03 +0100

I did some more work on the Edit-Tags and Edit-Comment dialogs.
The Edit Comment was actually not exactly as I described it earlier:
That was WinBoard behavior, and applied also to the Tags popup.
But XBoard does have two separate dialogs for Edit Comment and for
showing Comments, and these can be up together. The window
for showing them has an Edit button that pops it down, and pops
up the editable version, but if you then step through the moves
and /autoDisplayComment is on, a new window to show comments
appears, and both are up.

In WinBoard the new comment would be shown in the editable window,
in such a case. This could potetially lead to loss of the comment
you were editing, but have not saved yet.

I am not sure if the better protection against losing a partially
edited comment is really worth this complexity. I have experimented
with a Comment popup created by the generic dalog creator
(in order to smplify code), which works similar to WinBoard:
there is no distinction between editable and non-editable.
The same dalog pops up whether automatically when encountering
a commented move, or when using the Edit Comment or View Comment
menu items. The comment text in this dialog is editable, and on
pressing OK the changed text would replace the old comment.
(And on pressing cancel it would be discarded.) Both OK and cancel
close the dialog. I added a new button "save changes" that makes
the current text replace a previous comment without closing the window.
For Edit Tags I have a similar window.

The whole dialog creation operation starts to approach what I had in mind.
Perhaps some people can have a look at what I have now, to give some
feedback of things I overlooked, or more convenient ways to group things.
The XBoard version with the dialogs can be downloaded from the
hgm.nubati.net repository, the "popups" branch.

http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xboard.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/head s/popups

I will probably still try to reorganize the commits a bit (collapsing the
numerous bug fixes of new features together with the origial implementation
of them to a single commit). But after that, and some testing, I think it
is in principle ready to be transferred to Savannah.

I am also stil waiting for some feedback about the new ICS Text Menu
dialog, with the user-configurable buttons to send ICS commands.
What commands are useful and should be pre-configured here?