[XBoard-devel] Load Next / Prev Position menu

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] Load Next / Prev Position menu
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:40:37 +0100

Perhaps we should give the following point some thought.

When reorgnizing the menu,I dropped the load next / previous game / position,
based on the idea that the Game List is a much better and more flexible way
to load games, by clicking the one that you want, rather than seeing what it
is only after you load it.

I overlooked the tiny problem that there is no similar list for positions, though.
So there really is no alternative for stepping through a FEN or EPD file than
using the Load Next/Previous Position commands. This is a strong argument
for re-instating them.

And if we have them for positions, would it not be better for symmetry if
we also had them for Load Next/Previous Game?

The case for Reload Same Game/Position is much weaker. if you can step
forward or backward, you can get there with two key presses if you would
want that.

What do you think?