[XBoard-devel] gtk version status

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: [XBoard-devel] gtk version status
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:41:19 -0800

Hi

With the GTK version you can now play games against a chess engine, that
is so long as you don't need to promote a piece ;) Most patches from the
master branch should be in the gtk branch, e.g. the new command line
parsing and config files.

Otherwise non of the other windows apart from the main window are
implemented correctly and even the main window isn't done yet ;)

As far as promoting goes how should we implement this? I remember there
was some discussion about this. A popup with just graphics sounds good,
perhaps it should appear as soon as a pawn reaches the 7th row?

Another question I have is about playing by using the keyboard: I can
think of two modes that would be nice to implement:

A) using the arrow keys and enter to select a piece and place it somewhere

B) just start typing coordinates to enter moves. I had something in mind
like the text search in firefox, that is you start typing and a bar at
the bottom pops up with a text input field.

What do you think?

Are there other features that needs a rewrite? How about a tabbed
preference dialog, so that we don't need difference windows for
different options?

cheers
      ARUN