Re: [XBoard-devel] lots of changes in git

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] lots of changes in git
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:36:06 +0100

Some remarks about the numbering system and tagging:

When you bump the version number, could you also update the PACKAGE_FILE_VERSION? This should be 4 16-bit integers, but that could still accomodate numbering like 4,2009,11,22,
which would seem good for 4.20091122.

I am not sure about the desiability of having intermediate tags like 4.4.2.20091122 for 4.4.pre2 versions in the 4.4.x branch. This branch should only contain complete patches for fixing small bugs that allow risk-less fixing. That means in principle that any git version there is as good as any other. If we want to invite more intensive testing at some point by providing a tar ball, we should simply tag it 4.4.x, and release. Because 4.4.x is still rather new and involved massive changes, we are still getting bug reports at an unusually high rate, but I am pretty sure that will slow down to a trickle at some point. (That was the whole idea of introducing the 4.4.x branch, to be able to converge to a high-quality stable version
without new developments continuously introducing or exposing new bugs.)

So eventually we will probably tag every commit to the 4.4.2 branch as a new release. Or we should distinguish major bugs (like absense of the WinBoard sources, or wrong castling rights on FEN pasting) from minor bugs (a deprecated menu not working properly, or crashing while already exiting on a fatal error) or cosmetic changes (removing superfluous
debug messages), and only tag and do a new release for every major bug we fix.
In practice we could hold up a release for a short time if we are working on fixing a few minor bugs and know that we will be done with that within a reasonable time. (Say one week).

So I think what we should really do now is commit the forgotten pixmap patch for the opaque details of the leaky fairy pieces, and do an official 4.4.2 release. If people come with complaints on what we have in git now, the fixes will be for 4.4.3. The pixmaps patch in itself should be no reason to release a new version (it qualifies as cosmetic), but because we already have it waiting, it makes sense to include it in 4.4.2 rather than save it for 4.4.3. The same holds for the build problem just reported by Vincent Legout.

But I don't want to build in time-out periods, where we would only release after we have not received new bug reports in a specified amount of time. That makes no sense when bug reports will be arriving with Poissonian statistics at a fixed or slowly decreasing average rate, which they will if the patches we make will not introduce new bugs. Such a time-out period only makes sense if you think you might have introduced new bugs, and people need to be given some testing time to discover them. But patches in 4.4.x should not do that, and the only bug reports we should expect are for bugs that already
manifested themselves in 4.4.1.