[XBoard-devel] WinBoard sources missing

From: h.g. muller
Subject: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard sources missing
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 12:53:36 +0100

I see that the source tar ball we now offer from the GNU download section
is not the same as the one in the git repository, but is now completely
cleansed of WinBoard sources. I had not really planned on distributing
sources from the WinBoard forum, so people that were looking for them
are now looking in the wrong place, and complaining about it.

Perhaps in the WinBoard section of the GNU home page we should refer
them directly to the git repository for sources; I agree that thre is no
suggestion made anywhere that the XBoard download should also
contain WinBoard sources, but as this is what people are used to
for the past decade, so they will look there anyway, and only discover
their error after downloading the tar ball in vain. So a warning on the
Home page that WinBoard sources are not included might prevent
a lot of unnecesary internet traffic.

As an aside: I see now that the Shogi bitmaps are included in the root of
the tar ball (and have thus ended up in the XBoard-only distribution),
while these are simply duplicats of those in the winboard/shogibitmaps
directory. They are not used in building XBoard, and even have the wrong
format for that. (They are Windows .bmp files.)

If we want to distribute Shogi pixmaps with XBoard, we should at least
run the converter on them. But as they are not include in the build
(and there is little need for that, because XBoard allows loading of
external pixmaps), I don't think we really have to do that.