Re: [XBoard-devel] installer

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] installer
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 09:30:35 +0200

Well, if it is a break point for GNU, it is a break point for me...
I think this policy is highly damaging to the spreading of WinBoard,
and that makes it unacceptable. So my first preference would be to
move the XBoard project to another website.

As long as we are still stuck at GNU:

I think it is a bad idea to offer a bare winboard.exe. Just like most
Windows users are not able to install from source, they will not be
able to create a reasonably functional install from a bare executable.
Hosting it would serve no other purpose than to run the risk that
people would actually download it, and this will be very damaging
to the reputation of WinBoard.

So I propose to simply remove the winboard subdirectory from the
GNU download page (as it contains all the installers), and just
add a paragraph on the home page in the section XBoard / Winboard
Downloads:

"
Due to GNU policy we are not allowed to offer the WinBoard binary
distribution through this website. An installer for the latest WinBoard
version can be obtained from the WinBoard forum. (URL)
"