Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.0 issues

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] 4.4.0 issues
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 00:09:44 -0600

h.g. muller wrote:

First, let me repeat the sound problem I mentioned last time-- the new way of turning off move sounds is inconvenient. Not turning them off, but turning them back on. It was very easy in 4.2.7 to mute the board. That's something I do a lot too. I'm watching a GM game over on FICS for example, and need to silence winboard temporarily, but don't want to unobserve or quit.

So basically you want to see a "mute all sounds" check box added to the options -> sounds... menu?

Maybe. Some additional input from others might be nice, though I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this yet. Anyway, the move sound seems to be the only one that needs muted. I'm not sure if muting the whole program or muting only move sounds is better. I don't have sounds for other things, so in effect, muting move sounds mutes everything in my setup.

Other input here would be helpful, probably. Occasionally, I want to mute for other reasons. Like if I get a phone call while I'm involved in a game. In that case, I generally want to silence everything associated with the chess program. So I guess my choice would be an option to mute all sounds.

Second, premove appears broken. Or maybe that's the wrong term, I'm not sure. But if I anticipate my opponent's move and move while he's thinking (planning on making that move regardless of what he does), this no longer works to move instantly after he moves. Maybe I'm missing an option or something, but this feature makes playing fast games on a chess server impossible with the new version.

1) Are you talking about WinBoard or XBoard here?
2) When you say "it no longer works to move instantly", do you mean it does move eventually?
    Or just that it doesn't do anything at all?
    Do you get the premove highlights when you selecta premove?

1: Both winboard and xboard.
2: If I make the move before the opponent, then after he moves, nothing happens and I have to make it again. No, I don't get the premove highlights.

In testing this to check on question 2, it appears to be working now (with highlights). I didn't change anything that I know of. So forget it for now and if I see it again, I'll bring it up again with more information.