Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans

From: Michel Van den Bergh
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Future plans
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:51:29 +0200

Ok,

I posted 1.4.50b here

http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algebra/Toga/polyglot-release/

I think this version combines the advantages of the two PG versions
that are currently distributed with 4.4.0.

(1) It eliminates the PersistenceFile in favor of the traditional config file
(if specified).

(2) Yet it works seamlessly if PG is invoked implicitly via -fUCI or without
a config file.

(3) Since I guess PG should cater preferentially to its biggest customer
I added a config option (default: true:-) which restricts the number
of options sent to WinBoard.

I have not announced this version on the Winboard forum since I would
like to solicit some comments first.

Another issue:

For tournament managers it is important that they have a way of making
the engine run with its default settings. The current version of the
WB protocol does not seem to have a generic way to achieve this.

This issue has become acute since now engines are supposed to have a way
to remember their settings.