Re: [XBoard-devel] small bugs in the release

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] small bugs in the release
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 08:56:28 -0700

On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 07:52:39 +0200, "h.g. muller" <address@hidden> wrote:
> At 21:55 7-9-2009 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >since this was the first time I really packaged anything, I made a few
> >mistakes... thinking of fixing them in the next days and do a 4.4.0.1.
> >This would only have tiny fixes in it (for example using a working "make
> >dist"). Is everyone ok with this? Or should we call it 4.4.1? I think
> >4.4.0.1 is more appropriate.
>
> I think we should reserve new numbers for releases that really result in a
> new executable.
> In the past 4.2.7 was upgraded to 4.2.7b when there was a change in the
> installer.
> I think that it would be better to stick to that system. Call the package
> 4.4.0b.
> It is still the same XBoard 4.4.0. It is just the way of installing it
> (from source) that hs changed.

Yes, letters are fine for packaging changes.  No reason to skip over
"a" and go right to "b", though.  Historical trivia: the first release
of 4.2.7 was just 4.2.7, then there was a 4.2.7a with a minor installer
fix, then much later 4.2.7b with a whole new installer.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/