Re: [XBoard-devel] upcoming release 4.4.0

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] upcoming release 4.4.0
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 08:39:44 +0200

At 23:17 2-9-2009 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
Hi

planing on releasing 4.4.0 this weekend (either Saturday or Sunday 2009-09-05), after two beta versions. Let me know if you find any bugs that need to be fixed beforehand...

ARUN

OK, great!

Yes, these latest patches can still go into 4.4.0. They are quite safe;
just some corrections in menu texts (and doc files). The most involved
was the error message XBoard prints on receiving a non-understood
option feature, but I tested that. (There are currently no engines that
send option features anyway, except Polyglot, and the latter was
not supposed to send any erroneous option definitions, but I made
a special version that does, and even that works perfectly with the
new code.)

Actually I was a bit weary on making a change like the latter so close
before release, but OTOH it would be very silly to violate our own
protocol specs. Plus that the old version seemed to handle erroneous
option definitions in a suspect manner anyway, which I could not
guarantee as safe. (It accepted any option feature, which might
have lead to problems in later processing.) So in the worst case
I replaced one bug by another. But it tests OK.

If more bug reports come in, I will let you know immediately.
I posted invitations to test the beta2 installer on TalkChess,
WB forum and Rybka forum, but there are not many reactions.
Well, perhaps there are no bugs! ;-)