Re: [XBoard-devel] Polyglot 2.0

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Polyglot 2.0
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:07:57 -0700

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:55:52 -0700, Arun Persaud <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Eric wrote:
> > >I'm not in favor of that.  First, the major version change is not
> > >appropriate.  Second, I strongly recommend not using a customized
> > >polyglot.[...]
> >
> > The problem is that almost all Polyglot versions that are around do
> > not support the extensions of WB protocol offered by 4.4.0.
>
> My take on this would be to supply a patch for polyglot along with the source
> code and perhaps a new pre-compiled polyglot with that patch with the
> installer along with a note in the README or so...
>
> The best would be to add those changes upstream, but as I understand it HGM
> was/is trying to do just that, but for some reason or the other the author of
> polyglot doesn't want to add them.
>
> I also think that releasing a new version number has lots of problems
> associated with it and is better to be avoided.

If the upstream author doesn't want the changes and wants to continue
to release new versions of his own, then this is a fork of Polyglot, so
it needs something special to identify it as a fork -- maybe a suffix
to the name, or a prefix or suffix to the version number, whatever.
I'd suggest not simply picking a larger version number.  (That worked
OK for xboard/WinBoard since I wasn't going to be releasing a 4.3.x and
didn't really care, but it sounds like this is a different case.)

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/