Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:43:35 +0200

At 14:25 14-7-2009 -0600, Eric Mullins wrote:
Eric Mullins wrote:
Do we want to name the JAWS binary differently? I'm thinking it would be a good idea, if for no other reason than they can then coexist in the same directory.

A little more thought, and I take that back. It's going to cause problems when it comes to creating shortcuts. I'm now thinking the installer just makes you select one or the other.

The JAWS vesion, to be useful to the bind, will have to be installed
with completely different settings. Many windows that are universally
useful, (e.g. move history) are totally useless for the blind, and in fact
having them open only makes tabbing between the useful windows
more cumbersome. Furtherore, for the partly sighted we wanted to
choose really high-contrast coloring of board and pieces as default.
The JAWS packet needs none of the fonts and textures, no engine
logos. Shortcuts are hardly any good for the blind; it is really very
diffucult for them to select the one they need ot of many. Using
the startup dialog is actually much easier.

There really hardly is any overlap. So I think it is best to make the
JAWS version a separate inflexible install.