Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version

From: h.g. muller
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] beta version
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:02:27 +0200

I tend to agree: this version was meant as a merge only, not for adding ne features. XBoard is still so far behind WinBoard that we easily could spend a year programming to get it upto standards. We'd better resist that urge. I think what we have now is a very clear improvement over what people are used to with 4.2.7. That should be enough.
(It must be stablle, though; 4.2.7 was stable...)

Furthermore, 'gift wrapping' xboard in a script seems a dead-end route to me.
There is nothing that you cannot do with shell scripts, sh is a recursive programming language. But we don't want xboard to become a scripted GUI. If there is important functionality that it lacks, we should implement it in the C code, not cloak it inscripting.