[XBoard-devel] HLP file / make / packaging

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: [XBoard-devel] HLP file / make / packaging
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:53:52 -0600

Recent posts at the Winboard Forum have exposed an issue building the latest version.

I'm not sure how far we should go to accommodate users who want to build from source, but it shouldn't be hard to have the project compile with just the bare minimum of tools.

For those that do not have the Help Compiler package, it's probably a good idea to allow the project to compile without that tool. There are a couple of ways to deal with that problem: 1) supply a prebuilt HLP file in the package. As mentioned in the thread that exposed this issue, we should make sure that the included file is at least as new as the RTF file used to generate it. 2) remove the dependency completely so that you can build winboard without generating the HLP file. Devs could still build the help file by issuing something like 'make -f makefile.gcc winboard.hlp'

Also, as mentioned in the thread, using HLP is fairly dated, not even working in Vista (I haven't verified this, but believe it). Maybe we want to explore some other method eventually.