Re: [XBoard-devel] License matters

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] License matters
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:22:28 -0700

Bundling things that are non-GPL together in an installer with things
that are GPL is not a violation of the GPL.  It's a violation only if
you make a single program by linking non-GPL code with GPL code.
XBoard and WinBoard talk to chess engines (etc.) through pipes, so
there is no licensing problem using them with non-GPL software.

See: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation

You do generally need to make sure that you have permission to
redistribute things, and if you bundle a lot of stuff together, your
bundle is effectively bound by the most restrictive license.  For
instance, if you put a "free for all non-commercial purposes" font in
the bundle, then maybe it's not OK for anyone to include that bundle on
a CD that is sold, not even as an extra add-in.  (Generally the "free
for non-commercial purposes" type of license is a bad thing, since it's
not well defined what a "commercial purpose" is.)

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/