Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard installer

From: Tim Mann
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard installer
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:08:49 -0700

On Sat, 06 Jun 2009 15:58:45 +0200, "h.g. muller" <address@hidden> wrote:
> If GNU Chess 5 needs it, then GNU Chess 5 is out of all packages, as far as
> I am concerned.

I agree that cygwin1.dll is troublesome.  The current WinBoard 4.2.7
installer drops a copy in WinBoard's directory for use by GNUChes5.exe,
but I imagine that can cause problems if people are using multiple
engines that may need different versions.

I think the last time I built GNU Chess 5, mingw wasn't good enough to
build it and I fell back to using cygwin.  I think that was in 2003, so
maybe mingw is more complete now.

Also about book size: GNU Chess 5's book builder can build different
sized books depending on what arguments you give it.  It looks like I
distributed a small book in the WinBoard 4.2.6 installer (339 KB) and a
much larger one in 4.2.7 (3.7 MB).  I don't know if the larger book
really helped much.

--
Tim Mann  address@hidden  http://tim-mann.org/