Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard installer

From: Eric Mullins
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] WinBoard installer
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 07:14:44 -0600

h.g. muller wrote:
True, but I expect there is a large group of users that will want to analyze
games with the strongest engines they can lay their hand on, which means
they will want to use Crafty (WB) ,Toga (UCI) or Glaurung (UCI) if they want a free engine, and Rybka (UCI) if they are willing to pay for it. Not providing automatic UCI support will greatly reduce the appreciation fo our product.

But it's still great to also have a "gold pack" with everything you
need to get started doing more complicated things.  I think that could
either be a separate installer package, or (if the person working on
the installer wants to do it), it would be cool to have one installer
that has an options screen that lets you check more things to
download.

This is more or less the idea. Jaap told me this was not very difficult.
I think bandwidth is a valid concern, though. I would not want every install
to start with a 100MB download, out of which only 1MB is used then for
people selecting the minimal install.

But we should see things in perspective, and below a certain size, I don't
think we should worry. E.g. some (uncompressed) file sizes:

1.153 KB  winboard.exe
  860 KB  wcrafty.exe
  428 KB  GNUChes5.exe
  101 KB  GNUChess.exe
3.624 KB  book.dat             (GNU Chess book distributed with 4.2.7b)
    28 KB  polyglot.exe
    18 KB  fairymax.exe

C:\chess\WinBoard>objdump -p gnuches5.exe | grep DLL
vma:            Hint    Time      Forward  DLL       First
      DLL Name: cygwin1.dll
      DLL Name: cygreadline5.dll
      DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll

From my chess utils path:
08/10/2003  04:17 PM           151,552 cygreadline5.dll
06/12/2008  11:35 AM         1,872,884 cygwin1.dll

Polyglot may also depend on cygwin1.dll, depending where you got it. There is a version that doesn't depend on it though. I'm not sure I'd recommend that one, however.

I have a .REG file that I use to set up the PGN file type to invoke winboard in analysis mode. This has fcp as polyglot, and then I just hand-modify the INI file for whatever engine I want to analyze with. That process could be fine-tuned and automated to make it easy on end users to select the analysis engine. I don't ever use WB engines though, so I'm not sure what else might be necessary to support crafty in that process.

For analysis, there's no need for a book. People may want some kind of endgame bases though-- MUCH larger than a book. heh.

(Forgive the duplicate message, I'm not mailing list savvy and replied to HGM originally.