Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: XBoard stuff

From: A. Alper ATICI
Subject: Re: [XBoard-devel] Re: XBoard stuff
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:26:43 +0200

Hello everyone!

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:26:00AM -0800, Tim Mann wrote:
[...]
> > Next, I thought about trying to move some of the Xaw code for drawing the
> > board into a separate file so that the xboard.c file is composed mainly of
> > stuff like Window creation and handling of window events, and so that it
> > might be easier to try and start defining a common GUI interface between
> > OpenGL and any other UIs.
>
> That's good.  If you want, you could also pull out Unix-specific code
> that isn't X related at all into a third file (assuming you find some
> that can be pulled out fairly cleanly).  We'd been talking about that as
> a step toward replacing Xaw with GTK+.

How about taking the step toward a genuine single code base, rather than
partial consolidation as it is now?

I bet most of you have heard/known/used wxWindows:
http://www.wxwindows.org

I haven't used/examined it really, but it looks promising for
multiplatform development. I'm planning to invest some of my time in it.
So, what do you think?

OTOH, will OpenGL be good for anything other than 3D board layout?

regards,
A. Alper ATICI

--

PGP keys @ http://web.ttnet.net.tr/alperatici/anahtar.asc
fpr(S) = DFA9 6619 70C7 400C 1DA8  7BFB 2C56 F3AF B824 F550