[XBoard-devel] bughouse extensions to xboard

From: Arun Persaud
Subject: [XBoard-devel] bughouse extensions to xboard
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:24:35 -0800

Hi,

are there any bughouse extensions around for xboard? If not, I wouldn't mind working on some, not sure when the best time for adding more bughouse support would be though... especially since you are thinking of changing to gtk+, etc.

At the moment, for example, I have my xboard at home opening a second window whenever I get a bughouse partner (and closing it, when I end the partnership) and the second xboard is automatically following my partners games... It's just a small thing, but it makes starting a bughouse session already easier and needs only about 20 lines of code;)

other ideas would be: whenever you are playing bughouse/crazyhouse add a visible jail for the pieces to the board instead of displaying them in the title bar and use drag and drop from there to the board...also some extra buttons for ptell (tells to your partner) would be great... I'm not sure, but I guess, if xboard switches to gtk+ it should be fairly easy to turn those features on and off only when you are in bughouse-mode, so that normal games would still have the same interface and once you start playing bughouse your window expands a bit...

My only problem would be, that I only can test on linux and only have a FICS account, so I'm not familiar on which ICS commands to trigger for example...

I also wouldn't mind working on other small projects (in case someone needs help) or do beta-testing on linux/FICS...

Arun