womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Hello, and a Question

From: Lefty (石鏡 )
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Hello, and a Question
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:23:14 -0700

On 9/28/09 11:06 AM, "Mary-Anne Wolf" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The closest thing I can find to a reference is:
>
> http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/books/2002/04/02/stallman/index.html
>
> Sam Williams, author of "Free as in Freedom,"...a book about Stallman...
>
> In high school, Stallman got A's in math and physics, but he failed English
> because he adamantly refused to write essays of any kind. Williams speculates
> that Stallman may be mildly autistic, or even suffer from Asperger's syndrome,
> and he supports the theory with numerous observations from family and friends.
> Even in high school, other gifted math and science geeks were alienated by
> Stallman's out-of-kilter inability to socialize.

Hm.

In high school, I got straight B+ grades: I refused to do _any_ homework my
last two years, and my senior year, I pretty much refused to show up for
classes--the teachers, grudgingly, all agreed to call whatever it was I was
doing "independent study" that year--and scored 100% on virtually every test
I took.

When I got a National Merit Scholarship, the only student in my school to do
so, they felt obligated to graduate me "with honors", but they surely
weren't too happy about the whole thing. I also had an "out-of-kilter
inability to socialize", although I'm admittedly feeling much better now.

Do I win something...? Can I put questionable content in _my_ presentations,
too, now...?

An author's "speculation" is a good fair distance from Mr. Stallman making
anything "publicly known". Again, I'm not sure I see the relevance, in any
case.

Maybe we were better off discussing logos...?