[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Weechat-support] Problem connecting to irc.freenode.net - debian sq
Re: [Weechat-support] Problem connecting to irc.freenode.net - debian squeeze
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:26:15 -0500
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:13:10PM EST, Chris Jones wrote:
Hi there, and sorry for the delay.
> Just in case, I'll give it another show when I get a chance to boot back
> into the new system.
s/another show/another shot/
Just did that and saw something interesting:
First of all I didn't even know there had been a major upgrade while I
slept and that version v3.0 had been released.
While reading about it at www.weechat.org, I noted that the v3.0
configuration was not fully compatible with v2.x.
I booted squeeze and ran a 'dpkg -l' which advertised the installed
packages as version v3.0.2 - which I would imagine is the current stable
v3.0.1, presumably with some debian tweaks.
I downloaded the 3.0.1 .deb's from weechat.org just in case, removed the
official v3.0.2 debian packages and installed the ones from the weechat
web site instead.
I proceeded to delete the ~/.weechat directory which had been copied
over from debian lenny and was therefore in the '2.x format'.
I started weechat with the long list of channels - and the two slashes,
and it connected to freenode.
I then shut down weechat and removed/purged the packages from the web
site and reinstalled the official debian packages, thinking that I might
as well be in sync' with the repos and still hoping that this was only a
config file issue and that my troubles were probably over.
I restarted weechat, and to my dismay, I was back with my problem.
I didn't think that was a likely explanation, but all the same, I shut
down the 3.0.2, deleted the .weechat directory and when I restarted
weechat, much to my surprise, it connected to freenode w/o problems.
Since it was already about 2:30 AM, I figured that this was a case of
the program and the config files not being in sync' and was going to
leave at that, at least until 'tomorrow'.
I shut down weechat and was ready to reboot into lenny when I remembered
that I wanted to check something unrelated to this issue and restarted
Well, this time it was unable to connect.
I had to delete the .weechat directory again to be able to connect.
I'll run another test tomorrow to make sure, but it looks like weechat
is behaving as if something in the default config it creates the first
time around is in some way not acceptable for subsequent runs.
I know that this sounds rather crazy, so unless you can see through this
messy scenario and guess what is happening, I will have to test the
whole thing again tomorrow.