weechat-dev

[Weechat-dev] [task #11205] IPv6 should be prefered, IPv4 fallback

From: anonymous
Subject: [Weechat-dev] [task #11205] IPv6 should be prefered, IPv4 fallback
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:48:58 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name: Hendrik Jaeger
        Originator Email: address@hidden
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
                IRC nick: henk

Details:

Hi,

Most programs capable of using IPv6 prefer IPv6 where possible and fall back
to IPv4 where IPv6 is not possible, i.e. no AAAA record exists but A record
does e.g.
AFAICT weechat does not work that way but expects the user to tell whether
IPv6 can be used. IMHO this is counterproductive as IPv6 won't automatically
be used once it becomes available on a network, but only after the user
changed the option again.
I don't see any advantage in this behaviour over falling back to IPv4, so I'd
suggest renaming the setting to something like 'force_ipv4' so broken IPv6
setups can still be connected to. But as long as this option is unset, I'd
expect weechat to behave as most other IPv6-capable applications and try IPv6
and fall back to IPv4 if IPv6 is unsuccessful.

Thank you for reading and considering!
Keep up the great work please, I really appreciate it!

henk

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?11205>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/