websec-users

Re: outpage

From: Baruch Even
Subject: Re: outpage
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:34:39 +0200

* Rich <address@hidden> [081011 03:22]:
> guess i should have saved my questions but here goes...
>
> I can get the page with highlighted changed emailed to me no problem, works
> perfectly. However when i choose to have the URL's
> emailed to me this is what i get:
>
> --------
> The contents of the following URL has changed:
> http://www.the-page-im-monitoring.com
>
> It can also be found at:
> file:///usr/users/rich/public_html/websec/archive/file.html
> --------
>
> There are 3 issues i have.
>
> One, obviously there is no file:///etc. I assume the program means to put the
> http://my-address.com in place of file:///etc. So
> if anyone could shed some light on how to substitute the proper http address
> for file// address that would be great.

file:/// is a local filesystem url. It works if you use it from a
browser on the same machine the file resides on. This works for desktop
computers as the user is on the same machine that websec runs on.

I don't think there is a feature to rewrite the url to something that
will be network accessible.

> Second, when i manually substitute http://my-address.com in place of
> file:///etc and end up with
> http://my-address.com/archive/file.html, when i try to access file.html, i
> get a 403 forbidden error. If i chmod on the file i
> am able to read it with my browser fine, but how can i write the file.html
> out so that it doesnt get written out in a forbidden
> mode?

Either change the umask of the user or fix this in the source, when we
create the file we don't ask for specific permissions, we can ask to
have o+r set on the file.

> And finally issue 3, when i do chmod file.html to a read mode and view it at
> http://myaddress.com/archive/file.html, the changes
> are there, but they arent highlighted. Where is the file with the highlighted
> changes written to?

For base.html there is base.diff.html which should include the
differences.

Since  have very little time and more interest in other projects websec
receives very little attention. Patches are welcome and if someone wants
to adopt websec and become the maintainer, feel free to offer.

Cheers,
Baruch