websec-users

[WebSec-users] WebSec 1.7.0 and small web pages

From: Michael Clark
Subject: [WebSec-users] WebSec 1.7.0 and small web pages
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 14:25:26 -0400

Hi all,

I am using WebSecretary to monitor the web sites I run to make sure I haven't been hacked, I didn't upload the wrong page, etc.... So I have two servers, each running Websec, and monitoring the web sites on both servers. A side effect of this is when the server goes down, I get a notification that each web site is down (or at least changed). So when I see a LOT of WebSec messages coming into ym mailbox, I know something BAD is happening.

I'd like to have WebSec page me whenever the web server goes down. So I created a text only page at http://www.neted.org/serverstatus.html . The first time I run websec, I get the standard email messages. Full output is:

Web Secretary Ver 1.7.0
By Chew Wei Yih Copyleft (c) 1998

Processing => http://www.neted.org/serverstatus.html (Internet Education Foundation) ...

When I run it again, I get the exact same message. I do not get the normal messages like "Highlighting differences from previous version of webpage ...
No changes were detected."

What is the bare minimum I need to include on a web page so that WebSec can monitor it? My pager will only accept a few hundred characters, and I'd like to avoid getting HTML on it. Ideally I'd like to monitor a page like http://www.neted.org/serverstatus.txt (text-only) . Thanks for any ideas, Mike

--
Michael Clark, Webmaster
Center for Democracy and Technology

Join our Activist Network! Your participation can make a difference!
http://www.cdt.org/join/