web-hurd

Re: hurd - archived snapshot

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: hurd - archived snapshot
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:42:04 +0200

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 09:43:22AM +0000, Vijay Kumar B. wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> the source code of the hurd kernel is NOT available at the following url
>
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/cvs/hurd.tgz
>
> But the source code page of the hurd website
> http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/download.html mentions that the archived
> snapshot  of the hurd kernel is available at the above url.
>
> Please do let the ftp site maintainer of alpha.gnu.org know about this. And
> please make them available as a tarball asap.
>
> I had already mailed about this to address@hidden weeks ago with no response.

Sorry that we left you without a response.  In the meantime we installed the
process but forgot making the date-less symlink.  It is fixed now.  Thank
you very much for your report and reminder.

Please note also that the Hurd is not a kernel.  It is a set of user space
programs (servers and utilities) which cooperate in providing the operating
system features commonly expected and found in a Unix kernel.  We don't have
a term for a set of such servers, no single word to describe it.  But we do
have another meaning and use of the word kernel:  The kernel for us is the
underlying microkernel (currently GNU Mach).

Thanks,
Marcus

address@hidden
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/