web-hurd

address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: hurd-paper again]]

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: address@hidden: Re: address@hidden: hurd-paper again]]
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:58:04 -0700

This is a nice explanation from Gordon.

----- Forwarded message from Gordon Matzigkeit <address@hidden> -----

To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Re: address@hidden: hurd-paper again]
From: Gordon Matzigkeit <address@hidden>
Date: 12 May 2001 13:48:10 -0600

 HP> However, the Hurd is constructed so that the worst possible
 HP> consequence is an interruptible hang.

 VL> I can't clearly understand what "hangs" (and what is required to
 VL> interrupt that hang).  You meant the wrong process used as a
 VL> translator hangs and the system can recover from that situation
 VL> by interrupting (a CTRL-C / SIGINT equivalent) this process ?

No, when a client process tries to access the filesystem, it will
expect the translator to implement the filesystem protocol, and so
will wait for the translator to reply.

If the translator returns a bad reply, then the client will propagate
an error, so there is no problem.  On the other hand, if the
translator doesn't reply at all, the client will hang waiting for it.

On the Hurd, you can just interrupt the client (C-c, or some other
signal), and it will stop waiting.  On many other kernels, the client
cannot be interrupted, and will essentially prevent the client's
terminal from being used until the system is rebooted, or the
translator returns some kind of a reply.

Is that clearer?

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <address@hidden>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// Be Pliant (http://fig.org/pliant/)