vmslib-dev

[Vmslib-dev] State of the Code Vol. 1

From: Bryant, Chris
Subject: [Vmslib-dev] State of the Code Vol. 1
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:58:44 -0800

Howdy!

At the moment, we've release the old Richard Levitte and Roland B.
Roberts GNU package.  The name of that file is vmslib-1996.tar.gz and
can be downloaded at:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/vmslib/1996/vmslib-1996.tar.gz

Two things to note:

1.  This is a source archive taken from Richard's last know release,
hence the date 1996 attached as both a branch in CVS and release name.
It contains some files not required for use.

2.  This is a source-only release.  No binaries built from this branch
will be released.

For the future, we are working off a v1.0 branch to update the
following:

1.  Removal of unnecessary code.
2.  Upgrading the GPL to v3.
3.  Addressing issues noted in the tasks on the GNU vmslib Savannah
page.
4.  Considering a *-src* and *-bin* release structure.  The binary file
will be a built shared library for various architectures.

The major thought currently is, the GNU vmslib may actually be cleaned
up, released as v1.0 and then retired in deference to the GNV project
out of HP:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/portability/GNV.html

This requires research and dialogues are being engaged as we speak.

See you in Vol. 2!

Regards,

Chris Bryant,
Maintainer for GNU vmslib
http://www.gnu.org/software/vmslib/

IMPORTANT WARNING:  This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the
use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged and confidential.  You, the recipient, are
obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner.
Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject
you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the recipient, please
immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your
computer.