Re: [vile] external commands and press return

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] external commands and press return
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 04:56:40 -0400

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:22:50PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> (I get the feeling I've asked this before, but I don't remember and
> I can't find it.  So I'm sorry if I'm re-asking an old question.)
>
> I have, in my .vilerc, an external command attached to a key:
>
> =====
> store-procedure baltiput
>  ~force shell-command &cat "./baltiput " $cfilname
> ~endm
> bind-key baltiput #b
> =====
>
> When I activate this command, the screen resets to where it was when
> I first ran vile ... I get the output of the command followed by a
> request to [Press return to continue]
>
> When I active this command the next time, the screen resets to the
> same place as before, except that [Press return to continue] is the
> bottom line.  It isn't obvious whether this is from the current
> invocation (because my command completed) or the previous invocation
> (because my command is still running).

hmm - basically you're seeing that because the prompt is in the normal
screen, and vile's switching to/from alternate/normal screens.  I've
gotten to taking that behavior for granted since (aside from clearing
the screen before the prompt) I don't see a way to change it.

From vile's standpoint, it did clear the screen before resuming the
editing view (in the alternate screen), but the switching from normal
to alternate took place before clearing.

If we cleared the normal screen, then that would cause the screen to be
cleared when you exited vile (in contrast to occasional prompts like this
littering the screen).  Then _none_ of the contents of the screen before
running vile would be shown...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net