Re: [vile] Question on input of UTF8 char's in programs.

From: Brendan O'Dea
Subject: Re: [vile] Question on input of UTF8 char's in programs.
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:41:39 +1000

On 9 September 2014 15:13, Steven Lembark <address@hidden> wrote:
> Let's say I needed to enter a UTF8 character in my programs: "»".
>
> Call it U+00BB, c2 bb, or "RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK".
>
> Q: What are the appropriate keystrokes for entering the beast in X11?
>
> Searching for various permutations on [x]vile, UTF8, and the specific
> charater havn't turned up anything that works.

See the vile.hlp file, and search for "three ways of getting 8-bit characters".

In order to use the first (directly), you need get your X11 keyboard
to send the characters.  There are various ways to do that, but the
simplest is to configure a compose key.  If you use Gnome or KDE then
there will be a control panel to select one.  If you have a different
environment, then you may need to set it up in xorg.conf, or using
something like "setxkbmap -option compose:ralt" (see
xkeyboard-config(7) for options).  Once the compose key is configured,
hit and release that key, followed by two ">" characters and you
should get the symbol you are after.  The actual sequences are defined
in the Compose file for your locale (grep for $LANG in
/usr/share/X11/locale/compose.dir).  Your character appears as:

  <Multi_key> <greater> <greater>   : "»"   guillemotright #
RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK

Where Multi_key is the compose key you selected.

Using the second option, you can use ^Vxbb in insert mode.

--bod