[vile] yank then quoted motion

From: Wayne Cuddy
Subject: [vile] yank then quoted motion
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:51:53 -0500

I frequently use quoted motion to copy blocks of text/code. I
typically navigate the text using the paragraph motion commands {  }
during selection.

Using q or 2q to select a region and then yanking it to a register "yy^S
works.

My preference is to specify this first for some reason... I guess it
saves me the ctrl-S? I dunno...

If I specify that I want to yank the region first, with or without a
destination register specified, the } command stops at the end of the
first paragraph, repeated pressing of } does not move the cursor.

Since I don't think I'm doing a great job explaining it... here is an
example. The excerpt from help the manual below is what vile considers 3
paragraphs. I'm able to navigate to the bottom by pressing } three
times. If I first use q or 2q it still works, all three paragraphs are
highlighted. However, if I do yq}}} or y2q}}} I'm only able to select
the first paragraph. But yq3} DOES work.

       The buffer number may also precede the '_' command. This is
       necessary when visiting buffers numbered higher than '9'. For
       example, one would type "13_" to visit buffer 13 in the list.

       Use tab (or back-tab if supported) to scroll the list of 9 buffers
       right/left. Pressing '_' will select the first listed buffer; the
       1-9 digits also work as expected when the list is scrolled.

       [ See the note under "Differences", below, for comments on vi's
       use of '_'.]

This interesting thing is that this only happens in the down direction.
If I start at the bottom I can select/yank as many paragraphs as I want
going up using the { motion command.

Wayne