Re: [vile] xvile on OSX Lion

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] xvile on OSX Lion
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:20:12 -0500

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 09:42:36AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:27:58AM -0800, ric smith wrote:
> > I have used Xvile on OSX for 10 years or so, and unfortunately have come to
> > rely on it.
> > I have now ungraded to Lion, and it requires that it be an i386 program
> > type.
> > When I tried to compile it under Lion, I am having library incompatibility
> > problems.
> > Has anyone got this to work? I would appreciate any guidance.
>
> I haven't tried Lion yet. I've a couple dozen VM's running in Parallels on
> Leopard and don't want to disrupt those, have been considering adding a new
> server to run Lion on, so I could explore a different configuration, e.g.,
> with VMware.
>
> I can offer some advice, based on the build-logs (config.log, config.status,
> and so forth).

I took a quick look at building xvile on Leopard, and see that loadable
filters aren't working (and for instance the linker warns in that case
about i386, symbols not found, etc).  Using builtin-filters makes that
work - perhaps that's the problem you're running into with Lion.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net