[vile] Re: Wierd character problem in xvile, > doesn't work

From: Chris G
Subject: [vile] Re: Wierd character problem in xvile, > doesn't work
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:24:24 +0100

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 08:14:40PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
> This *has* to be something very stupid but I can't fathom it out at
> the moment.
>
> I'm running [x]vile 9.8 on xubuntu 10.04, all works well except that
> the > key doesn't work in xvile.  On my keyboard > is a shifted .
> (full-stop to me, period to you).
>
> In vile the > key works fine (otherwise I'd have problems entering it
> here) so I don't think it's my .vilerc set-up.
>
> I first noticed this when >> for indent didn't work (works in vile)
> but I can't enter a > character either.
>
> I can paste > into xvile.  It's as if xvile is running some key
> mapping software somehow.
>
> Help, I want my > back!   :-)

Typical, I've found what's causing the problem, though it still seems
to me that there's something awry in xvile.

I have the following in my .Xmodmap file:-

    !
    !
    ! Set Alt Gr key to be Mode_Switch which is an extra shift key
    !
    keycode 108 = Mode_switch Mode_switch
    !
    !
    ! Set so that Mode_Switch plus > give a ▶ key
    !
    keysym period = period rightcaret U25B6 NoSymbol

Disabling that last line fixes my missing > in xvile.  So that key
mapping somehow disables shift+. giving > in xvile but doesn't affect
things anywhere else. In addition, elsewhere Alt Gr + . gives a ▶,
that's a solid right pointing triangle if it doesn't survive e-mail.

With that last line enabled xvile shows \u25B6 for the ALtGR+. key
which is correct, but no >.

--
Chris Green