Re: [vile] vile-9.7[stu] gets stuck "working..."

From: Clem Taylor
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.7[stu] gets stuck "working..."
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 15:52:50 -0400

> hmm - then I might try to reproduce it by slowing down vile (or the
> terminal).

All the gdb results in my last message where on the local machine, not via ssh.

>> same process: open up a file, split the window, create a new file,
>> copy 5 or so lines from the first file, paste them in the new file,
>> goto the first line of the new file and delete it with 'dd'.
>
> "paste" here sounds like outside vile (select/paste in X for instance).
> I tend to just use 'q' to select, but that bypasses a lot of I/O.

This was purely in vile: 5yy, switch buffers, p :1 dd

> The exact form of the loop I did change last winter, for compiler-warnings
> (as part of fixes to separate signed/unsigned computations).
>
> Perhaps somewhere there's an off-by-one that's making nbytes never reach
> zero.  I'd "up" in the debugger to ldel_bytes and inspect the nbytes
> and uchunk values.

nbytes seems to stay 1, I tried watching nbytes but gdb didn't seem to
like that, so I recompiled without -O2 and I haven't been able to
trigger the bug again. Will keep trying...

                               --Clem