Re: [vile] vileget not working, known issue?

From: J. Chris Coppick
Subject: Re: [vile] vileget not working, known issue?
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:01:05 -0700

Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:17:26PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
>> However at home when I try "vileget <something>" it pops up an xvile
>> window almost immediately but the calling command line waits for a
>> while and then says:-
>>
>>     /usr/local/bin/vileget: connect: No such file or directory at
>> /usr/local/bin/vileget line 176.
>>
>> ... in other words it hasn't managed to create .vilesock.
>>
> ... it's OK, I'm being very silly, my .vilerc wasn't running
> Vileserv.pm.  I had removed it quite a while ago because I didn't use
> it at home and I'd forgotten I'd done so.  It all works perfectly now.

That's not being silly.  That's just poor coding on the part of the vileget
developer.  Vileget should check to see if you have a .vilerc and make sure
you are loading Vileserv.pm.  If not, vileget should create an appropriate
.vilerc for you, and by way of apologizing for the delay deposit a nominal
amount of money in your bank account.  Now that would be responsible coding.
Whomever developed this sub-optimal vileget hack was obviously not taking
their work seriously enough.  It's an insult to true craftsman everywhere.

:-)

   Chris C.