Re: [vile] Odd problem with setting colour resource

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Odd problem with setting colour resource
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 06:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, address@hidden wrote:

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 08:51:06PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
probably Firefox's resetting $TERM to something like "vt100" which
doesn't have colors.  In that case, the available colors are only
"black" and "white".  If that's the case, you can test the $ncolors
variable to see if it's 2, and put an if-endif around the code in your
.vilerc file

OK, thanks.

However I've just looked at the value of TERM from inside the vile
that's started by Firefox and it's still set to 'xterm'.

Is this on Solaris? Firefox might be running using the session manager's environment. On Solaris normally "xterm" is the non-color version, but people may set $TERMINFO to point to a terminfo database where it's the color version.

As a workaround is there some way I can set bcolor to a numeric value?

I've actually come up with an alternative workaround, I have
explicitly set the background colour using '-bg grey90' and that gets
me the result I want.

There's something odd about the way some X apps start up new terminal
windows because I've seen the same problem starting up rxvt terminal
windows/vile from our CM tool Continuus.  Although I don't see an
error there, it has a darker grey background than my preferred grey90.
After the error I was asking about above in Firefox I also get this
darker grey.  Nowhere in any of my X resources do I ask for anything
but grey90.

Again, that could be explained by different environments - it's common for desktop environments to set resource values with xrdb that don't match your preferences. I usually notice this when starting xterm from a menu vs from the command-line. (I could go on at length about this - it seems that the desktop designers keep making the resource patterns more specific to interfere with user's app-defaults files ;-). It's a frequent area of bug-reports...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net