viewmail-info

Re: [VM] vm and [emacs] desktop

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: [VM] vm and [emacs] desktop
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 12:20:50 +0000

On Tue, Nov 04 2014, Uday Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Robert Marshall writes:
>
>> on a restart my vm imap cache files are loaded but they don't
>> appear as a VM INBOX
>>
>> The desktop file entry looks ok
>> (desktop-create-buffer 206
>>   "/home/robert/Mail/imap-cache-10fa627ba88db87c673417642ff5d908"
>>   ...)
>
> Well, the IMAP cache files have such ugly names just to dissuade you from
> thinking they are just files!  The real "file" for an IMAP folder is on the
> mail server.  So, you should delete the imap-cache buffer that Emacs
> recovers and visit the folder in the usual way.

That's what I do (usually with a recover in the case of a run after a crash)

> I will think about how to block Emacs from automatically recovering cache
> files.

I guess you'll need to tinker with desktop-files-not-to-save (or
...buffers-not-to-save) unfortunately both those are (single) regexps
rather than a list of regexps. Alternatively there's desktop-save-hook
though as desktop-save can be run by the user at anytime (just to create
a saved posn) so closing vm imap files wouldn't be friendly. Maybe I
need to run a test with local folders to see if they work ok.

Doesn't appear to be a way of preventing emacs from saving the frame
state - for VM reserved frames - you can prevent it from saving all (but
one!) frame.

In my case my cache file was larger than large-file-warning-threshold
which gave the game away as to what was happening - as the imap cache
buffer ended up way down the buffer list

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son château d'eau