viewmail-info

Re: [VM] VM displaying images

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] VM displaying images
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:46:07 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> I have a situation where VM sometimes displays inline images, and
> sometimes doesn't, and it's not obvious to me why.  Is there a good
> way to enable debugging of message display processing, so I can get a
> handle on the decisions which are being made?

The first thing to do would be to read through the VM manual carefully to
understand how the decision is made.  There are a number of options settings
that determine the process.

If you download and install the current version of VM, available from
http://launchpad.net/vm, you will get to see the latest version of the
documentation, which would have some clarifications incorporated.

Secondly, whether the images are displayed inline depends on how the message
itself was composed and what the sender of the message intended, i.e., what
its MIME declarations say.  (Unfortunately, the senders are not always
knowledgeable about how it is done, and leave the decisions to their mail
clients, which are of variable quality.)  In VM 8.2.0b, you can use the
command M-x vm-list-mime-part-structure to view what the MIME structure of
the message is.

Finally, whether the images are displayed inline also depends on what your
installation of Emacs is capable of displaying.

In addition, if you are using emacs-w3m to render html, then you also have
to worry about how its options have been set.

So, there is a lot to take in and check.  You will need to consider each
case separately, but it is possible that when you find a fix for one case,
some others get fixed as well.

Cheers,
Uday