viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Differences between IMAP-FCC and FCC

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Differences between IMAP-FCC and FCC
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:11:41 +0100

blueman writes:

> 1. Is there any reason that IMAP-FCC doesn't include a 'From:' line whereas
>    FCC does include a 'From:' line? The net result is that for IMAP-FCC,
>    the vm summary gets the sender from the "from" line which is often then
>    the meaningless "VM"

FCC is a feature of the Emacs mail-mode, which obviously knows nothing about
IMAP.  IMAP-FCC was added by Rob F to save a file copy *before* we hand the
message over to mail-mode.

To get a "From:" header in the IMAP-FCC copy, you should set the
`vm-mail-header-from' variable so that you don't depend on mail-mode to fill
it in for you.  I think we had a discussion about it earlier in the mailing
list.

> 2. IMAP-FCC allows multiple comma-separated fcc imap folders, while FCC
>    only seems to allow a single file entry. Would it make sense to
>    transfer over the same parsing functionality to FCC as exists in
>    vm-imap-save-composition

The comma-separated list is not documented in the manual, which probably
means that I don't approve of it.

Cheers,
Uday