viewmail-info

Re: [VM] headers only mode for local folders

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] headers only mode for local folders
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:14:06 +0000

John Hein writes:

> What about for local folders?  That would help for some of my larger
> local folders, especially for load/save operation times (especially
> over nfs) and searching based on header contents (rather than body
> searches).

I have been thinking about that recently.  The first thing to do would be to
allow a directory of (single message) mail files to be viewed as a folder.
I will call them "directory folders" for the time being.

The first time you load a directory folder it would be time-consuming
because a directory is not a mail server and you can't ask it to give you
just the message headers.  But, once the folder has been craeted, viewing
messages should be fairly efficient.

It should be fairly easy to do.  But, at the moment, I don't have the time
to take on a new task.  But if you are able to do some elisp coding, I can
tell you what needs doing.

Cheers,
Uday