viewmail-info

Re: [VM] vm 8.1.1 - marking all unread messages read?

From: John Hein
Subject: Re: [VM] vm 8.1.1 - marking all unread messages read?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:02:33 -0700

John Stoffel wrote at 13:04 -0500 on Jan 18, 2012:
 > Guys,
 >
 > I accidently marked all messages by an author as 'unread', which
 > was a mistake.  Now I want to change them all back to 'read', but I
 > can't figure out how to do it.  M A followed by M N U doesn't do
 > this in 8.1.1 at all.
 >
 > I would have hoped that M N <space> would do it, since you can hit
 > spacebar to read any message and change it's status.
 >
 > Any hints for someone who's too dumb to figure this out?

How about M A like you did, then:
  M N .
   or
  M N a read    [1]
   or
  M N M-x vm-set-message-attributes read

To see key bindings in the summary, switch to a summary window, then
"M-x describe-bindings" or "f1 b".  Then you can search in the help
window (for "read" in your case or "mark.*read" with a regex search).

Of course, if you notice your mistake right away, vm-undo (C-x u) can
help you.

[1] Note the 'a' binding was removed from the default set of bindings
in 8.2.0(?).  To restore that, use vm-legacy-key-bindings.  Of the key
binding that were removed, I use 'b' and 'a' a lot and 'L' a few times
a week.