viewmail-info

Re: [VM] smtp issues: progress indicator and gracious failure

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] smtp issues: progress indicator and gracious failure
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 16:39:11 +0100

On 5/23/2011 1:06 PM, emacs user wrote:

hi Uday, I think I managed to set this up, although didn't switch yet.  one
advantage may be that msmtp can get the needed smtp password from a system
keyring/ keychain (on mac os x).  see

Ok, that is good. I see no downside to switching to msmtp. So, if you are able to, please go ahead.

  "Currently supported keyrings are the Gnome Keyring and the Mac OS X Keychain. The script
msmtp-gnome-tool.py can be used to manage Gnome Keyring passwords for msmtp. To manage Mac OS X
Keychain passwords, use the Keychain Access GUI application. The ‘account name’ is same as the msmtp
‘user’ argument. The ‘keychain item name’ is smtp://<hostname>  where<hostname>  matches
the msmtp ‘host’ argument."

I wonder if this can also be used for incoming imap passwords in vm somehow...

Well, VM doesn't do password storage on its own, but uses Emacs's auth-source library. I think Ted Zlatanov has Mac OS X on his TO-DO list too. Perhaps you can give him a prompt.

Cheers,
Uday