viewmail-info

Re: [VM] visiting Thunderbird mailboxes

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] visiting Thunderbird mailboxes
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 20:00:15 -0000

On 4/26/2011 8:48 AM, Salome Södergran wrote:
Hi!

I've just encountered a new problem:

When I try to visit one of my former thunderbird-mailboxes in vm
(with vm-visit-folder) I get the following warning:

"Warning: garbage found at end of folder,
/PATH/TO/MAILBOX, starting at 1  No messages."

and no messages are displayed. What does this mean and is there anything
that can be done?

The message means that VM wasn't able to parse the mail folder. Sinte no messages were recognized, the problems are likely to be at the beginning. For instance, is there a blank line at the beginning? Are there inconsistent line-ending modes used?

Please copy the folder into some temporary space, visit it as a text file, and see if you can edit something to make it acceptable to VM. (Note that you can use `M-x vm-mode' to parse a buffer as a VM folder. However, this is not reversible. You have to revisit the file to edit it a second a time.)

If you can't find the problem, send a bug report using vm-submit-bug-report and attach a hopefully small thunderbird mailbox that causes the problem.

Cheers,
Uday