users-prolog

Re: [PPL-devel] Re: Raising Prolog exceptions from C code (2nd attempt)

From: Daniel Diaz
Subject: Re: [PPL-devel] Re: Raising Prolog exceptions from C code (2nd attempt)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:29:15 +0200

Hi everybody,

Fergus is right, GNU Prolog uses ebp to map a WAM register in a physical
register (to increase efficiency). Since ebp serves as frame pointer,
the code using WAM internals should be compiled with
-fomit-frame-pointer. Other code CAN use ebp (since ebp is
saved/restored in called functions). But a foreign code needs to be
compiled withth -fomit-frame-pointer (and also -O2 or -O3).

Obviously this can be a problem for people using a precompiled version +
foreign code. However, it is not really difficult to compile a
customized version of GNU Prolog, in our case:

./configure --disable-ebp
make
make install

This is really not difficult (specially for people writing foreing
code).

I could also proposes 2 precompiled versions (one with ebp and another
one without ebp) but it is a bit heavy for me to always ensure both are
well produced. Finally I could only produce binaires with
--disable-ebp...